Sunday, September 11, 2011

Gen Art's Fresh Faces in Fashion Show

Fashion week has kicked off on Thursday and the city is full of glamorous
and fabulous looking people. My first runway show I attended was GenArt's Fresh Faces in Fashion on Friday night presenting six brand new
designers to the world of fashion, five women and one men designer.
Accessories were shown by Collina Strada, Falconiere, Osborn and Wool and
the Gang.


 I was supposed to shoot the second part of a German reality show during
fashion week so I haven't made any arrangements to attend too many shows.
Last minute the show got postponed so here I am trying to arrange seats
last minute. A friend of mine had two passes to this show so I was happy to
get started. Unfortunately, the seats were not the very best for me in
order to take close-up pictures and see the fabrics and styles. This just
didn't work for me. Ater running up and down and talking to five different
staffs I finally got to this lovely lady in a beautiful coral colored dress
who ended up seating my friend and me right at the very front where all the
photographers were positioned. Perfect. Thanks again for that.

Five minutes later the show started with an introductory by Gen Art's
co-president Elizabeth Shaffer and actress Erika Christensen who was seen movies
like 'Traffic' and 'Swim Fan'. She looked lovely in dark blue denims and
black laced shirt.


First on the runway was William Okpo with his "Crazy, Sexy, Cool" line.
Lots of whites and bright and soft colors with silk fabrics and loose
designs. As seen in big names William Okpo showed high waist pants and
jumpsuits. Not bad.



Second up was Ace & Jig. I don't want to sound rude but this collection did
not include a single nice or at least acceptable outfit in my opinion. And even though
different patterns together are in fashion right now (which by the way I am
not a big fan of) but these combinations just did not suit together at all. It looks too stressful. I do appreciate their creativity though, it just did not work for me. Lots of shorts again like we had already this season and slub weekend dresses; most outfits worn with flat shoes.


Sunghee Bang's "Untangled" line was my favorite of the whole evening. First
of all I have to congratulate the hairstylist on an amazing job. All
model's faces were totally covered with their own hair except a little
see-through-part so they could see where they are going. What a great and
different idea and it went very well with the outfits. Sunghee's pieces
majorly made with jersey fabrics in a chaotic entanglement as she calls it.
She forms tangles three-dimensionally with asymetric shapes and loose drape
capture. Her main colors were black, white and grey. The stand-out outfit
was the last look with a handknit long-sleeve sweater and black asymetric
boyshorts which was asymetric on one side and basically one whole
butt-cheek was visible. The men liked it and me too. What an eye-catch. Great job Sunghee. I see you
going somewhere.






Baron Wells was the only men fashion designer this evening. Starting off
with great music came a farmer like looking model in a poncho and long wood
stick. Not sure what the sticks, which we saw throughout his runway, were supposed to say but I guess he wanted to be different. Well, check on that one Baron Wells. With ponchos, windbreakers and anoraks it looked to me like a bad weather line for wind and rain. Long pants were wrapped up at the buttom with slippers. Overall, not bad but also not really great. None of the outfits were outstanding to me but I'm sure he will find his specific audience.




Next up was Eighteenth with their, yes, don't laugh, "I gained 10 pounds,
but grew 10 inches" collection. Interesting name. Maybe that was the reason
why most of the outfits were loose soft fabrics styles. All outfits were
white with beige and very few light demin. Lots of long dresses with
asymetric shapes and skirts with short loose tops in silk. What caught my
attention were the shirts with very long sleeves going over the hands until
almost knee lenghths. How are you supposed to interact like that?  I liked
a couple of the outfits and the models were beautiful. Defintely can see
them having some more shows in the future. But a tip from my side for the
next show, choose a different music. Even though classical music can be
really nice, this specific song didn't go very well for a runway. Otherwise, good job. Keep going.





Jennifer Chun's "Utiliarian Journey" collection included turquoise pants
with a dress on top, silk python trimmed lace up dress, khaki cargo pencil
skirt and one of my favorite pieces of hers the python skinny crop shorts.
The combinations were not always the very best in my opinion as it got to
stressful and too much but if you divide it up into the single pieces
Jennifer did a great job. She and some of the other designers as well went
with flat men slipper like shoes next to some heels.





Last but not least, Ann Yee presented her SS 2012 collection which I liked.
The Lillian kimono silk-chiffon dress and the Keagan open shoulder sweater
dress were my favorite pieces of her collection. All models were wearing
white wedges with one poor model wearing them at least one size too big
which made her walk look horrible. Poor thing but she went through without
falling. Good job.






It was a great show overall. Well organized, good audience cheering their
favorites and a good start for me into my favorite week of the year in this
great city of New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment