Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My interview with TV presenter and fashion journalist Louise Roe

Today is Friday and I am scheduled to have a phoner with Louise Roe, TV presenter, celebrity stylist, fashion journalist, designer and and and. Her resume does not end. What an amazing journey she has had yet with only being 29. Very impressive and congratulations and respect from my side.

I dial Louise's number and a very friendly and smiling (I could hear the smile) voice answers "Yes, this is Louise". In between her busy schedule with attending a lot of shows during fashion week in New York and the filming of her TV show "Plain Jane" she still made the time to answer a couple of my questions. I felt honored. So I did not want to waiste any of her valuable time and got straight to my interview:

1. When did your interest for fashion develop and when did you decide to work in this industry?
Hmmm....I always wanted to be a writer so I went to, my dad is actually a travel journalist, and I went to university and studied English Literature. And then when I came out as junior I went straight into an internship at Elle magazine.....cause as you know I knew in such a fun job you have to spend a while...you know....training and all that. So, that's what I did and worked for the magazine and loved fashion from the gecko. 

2. How did you get to your current status of career and how did it start?
Well, I was actually off to go on TV one morning in the UK on the news as one of the editors was too nervous to do so she said: you do it and I did and I loved it. I enjoyed it so much. More offers came from then, luckyly I got a call from the producer that day and then one thing let to another and I ended up having a show in the UK and then I moved to America to do a show.

3. What do you recommend newcomers in this industry, e. g. a stylist, to become successful and popular?
Don't give up, it is a tough industry. Keep in touch with everybody that you work with, that's really important, to keep people's names and addresses. You wanna be in peoples mind when a gig comes up and then just be creative like writing a blog or setting up your own photoshoot at home with a friend. I think that people in magazines and fashion now want to see a little bit of that initiative.

4. What shows did you attend during fashion week and which one was your favorite?
Oh wow, I attended a lot of shows. I think Marchesa was my favorite. It was sooo historical, it was like a fairytale. And Tibi was beautiful, really clean and modern and bright. DVF was great, too. The bermuda shorts were with it.

5. What did you think of all the colors, there were lots of colors this year?
Lots of color and I don't remember to have seen that has more bright, really skinny powerful palettes and trends.

6. How did you choose your outfits for these shows and did you do your own styling?
I did choose them, I always choose my own, I think that's part of my job. I'm lucky enough to be lend a lot of clothes from the designers (and out of respect to the designers you wear their outfits). So for Tibi for example, I wore a high waisted red leather pencil skirt which I thought was so out there and awesome. (She apologizes to me for all the noise because she is in a vehicle. Sweet. That's also why I might have missed some parts here and there). I did wanted to mix up different colors and textures and ....hmmm. I think fashion week is always the time to really experiment and try really crazy trends which my boyfriend would probably hate if I wore them at home....(we both laugh)....
7. So how would you describe your own style if it's not fashion week?
I think it's quite 90s / 70s with bright color. You know, I like to play with silhouettes, so if you gonna do volume on the top then the button half is skinny.....you know....I like to sort of balance it out. And always a really high heel (Oh yes, I totally agree, the heel is a MUST).

8. Who is your fashion idol?
I think Lauren Hutton in the 1970s.  

9. What was your drive to launch your own collection?
I always always always wanted to but never really had the platform to do it so once I had been able to be introduced to the people who might be interested in doing a collection with you. I always had the idea for years to do a collection based around shape and flattering body shape, no matter how tall, thin....you know....curvy you are. You have a go-to-address and the idea to be quite 70s save because I love those colors...hmmm...and yeah....it's looking great. 

10. With the launch of your own collection do you anticipate to participate at New York fashion week next year?
Wow, that would be a dream-come-true....that would be a dream come true. That would be amazing.
11. With all the different jobs you have, stylist, TV host, writer, designer, etc. what is your favorite position?
TV host (in a very certain voice). I love the TV hosting the most. And now I even get to sell my own line on TV and can actually talk about it on TV.

12. Which celebrity would you like to style?
With the TV show going on I am not really styling anymore but I would love to style Angelina Jolie. She always looks great on the red carpet with a vampy leather look but in her private life she could do much more besides wearing black. (I agreed as she is such a beautiful woman, she would look great in almost everything).

13. My last question to Louise was: What is your favorite color to wear?
Ohhh, red or purple. Red........

It was such a pleasure to talk to Louise, she is so friendly and open and easy to talk to. I am wishing her a lot of luck and success with her line which launched last Friday, September 16 and hope to talk to her soon again, hopefully on fashion week commenting on her own runway show.

No comments:

Post a Comment