Sunday, September 11, 2011

Yigal Azrouel - Cut25

Today's first show for me was Yigal Azrouel showing his 'Cut25' line in the Meatpacking District. When I entered the venue all models were already set up in a square with each in their individual squares which reminded me a little bit of Alexander McQueen's chess fashion show. Great idea and as I found out in my interview with Yigal that it was his idea. He likes that there is a constant moving on the runway and stage with a video screening on the back wall of the stage and a mirror hanging in the back so you can see both front and back. Very well thought out. I loved it and so far my favorite show of the season.



Now to speak about his collection,I have to say WOW. What an army of colors. I can't even list them all, he really covered all of them. And not only all colors but all different kind of designs, I saw loose and fitted, long and short, and and and. In his interview he told me he got inspired by the 80s this time which conveyed in electric colors, techno-washed fabrics and multi-dimensional layering. Silhouettes are structured yet relaxed, evoking a cool modern ease with an athletic vibe. He chose unique textures like double faced cotton, over-dyed lace and washed silk. The shoes and accessories are also designed by him.



I asked Yigal what brought him into fashion as he has not studied design. Unfortunately, I could not understand everything due to the loud music but he mentioned that he is still figuring out where he will go. He launched his first collection in 1998, opened his first showroom in 2000 and his MPD boutique in 2003 with being one of the first ones there to embrace the world of fashion in a former butcher market.


I liked the show a lot and am looking forward to the next one.


One funny thing I have to mention though. Something unbelievable happened to me. While I was watching the runway a man named Christian tapped me on the shoulder and greeted me in German. He is from my hometown Trier in Germany which has barely 100,000 citizens. Can you believe it? He recognized me from the TV show I was filming here in New York beginning of the year. The world is really small, so greetings back home.
 Yigal Azrouel & Me

 This was my favorite outfit of his collection

No comments:

Post a Comment